E. Anna Nixon was born in Rodley, Baca County, Colorado, October 29, 1916, and died in Newberg, Oregon, February 28, 2012. After graduating in 1939 from Cleveland Bible College (now Malone University in Canton, Ohio), she was appointed by the Evangelical Friends Church--Eastern Region (then Ohio Yearly Meeting), to go to India in October 1940.
World events at the time created delays in getting a passport and visa. Her departure by ship in November of 1941 landed her in Manila just before the Japanese surprise attack on Pearl Harbor. She and other passengers were among those imprisoned in the Santo Tomas University until they were rescued on February 3, 1945. Anna was sent back to the U.S.A. for recovery, rest, and a new beginning. The following year she arrived in India and began her extensive ministry there. In India, as a part of American Friends Mission, she learned the Hindi language, managed and taught in a boarding school, lived in a village and organized and taught adult literacy. By 1951 she was assigned to an all-India organization, The Evangelical Fellowship of India, at first as treasurer, then in charge of literature development, and by 1961 in charge of developing Sunday school literature in many languages of India, working with many denominations and committees in 26 languages. By 1972 she was recognized by Malone College with an honorary Doctorate of Literature, and in 1976, by Friends University with a Doctorate of Letters.
She left India in 1980 but did not retire from Evangelical Friends Church appointment until January 31, 1984. At that time she moved to the Friendsview Retirement Community in Newberg, Oregon, where she continued editing and writing a number of mission-related books.